0115 982 0770 Menu

Frequently asked questions


Frequently asked questions

How will I pay for my claim?

We have a number of ways in which we can fund your claim:

No Win No Fee

Under a Conditional Fee Agreement, also known as ‘No Win, No Fee’ agreements we would agree that if you claim is unsuccessful you would not be charged for our time and we do not get paid. If your claim is successful then we are entitled to charge for our time and claim a success fee (calculated as a percentage) previously agreed with you.

Contingency Fee Agreements

Under a contingency fee agreement we agree with you that if your claim is successful our fees are calculated as a percentage of what you recover.

Contingency Fee Agreements are only available in matters which are classed as non-contentious such as Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority Applications.

Legal Expenses Insurance

You may have legal expenses insurance to cover the cost of your claim. This is known as ‘Before the Event Insurance’ or ‘BTE’ because you have taken insurance cover prior to the incident has occurred. Legal Expenses Insurance may assist if you want to bring a claim or if you wish to defend a claim brought against you.

Legal Expenses Insurance is usually included with many insurance policies such as Household Insurance (Buildings and Contents) and Car Insurance. You may have legal expenses insurance under your credit card arrangement or under another financial arrangement. You may have a stand along legal expenses insurance policy. It maybe that legal expenses insurance has been included as an optional extra or as standard.

You should check all documentation relating to insurance policies and similar, to ascertain whether or not you have legal expenses insurance. If you are unsure whether or not you have such cover, we will review the documentation for you.

If you do have legal expenses insurance, subject to the terms of the insurance, then this may cover you for your disbursements (Court Fees, Experts Fees etc); cover you against paying your opponents’ costs if you are unsuccessful and possibly even your own solicitors costs. In this respect, you may have no financial risk in bringing a claim.

Private Paying

If the funding of your case is on a private paying basis then our fees are charged on an hourly basis for the work carried out on your behalf. The amount of the hourly charge will depend upon the level and experience of the fee-earner carrying out the work on your case and the nature of the case. Our hourly charge will be communicated to you at the beginning of your case along with an estimate of the total costs.

The fees charges on an hourly basis are known as Profit Costs and are subject to VAT. The Profit Costs are separate to any disbursements that need to be incurred on your behalf such as Court Fees, Medical Records Fees or Experts Fees.

Legal Aid

Uppal Taylor Solicitors do not have a Legal Aid Franchise but in certain circumstances we can apply for Legal Aid on your behalf.

We will explore all possible funding options with you at the outset and will make a recommendation on the best funding option for you.

The abuse happened a long time ago – can I still bring a claim?

Yes. There are certain circumstances where a claim is allowed to proceed despite the time that has passed. It is understandable that many victims do not come forward for many years after the abuse occurred and the law makes a provision for victims to do so.

Will the Police be involved?

In the majority of situations the Police will already have carried out a criminal investigation. However, in some situations when the abuse or abuser has not been reported to the Police we will advise that the victim reports this and this may result in a criminal investigation. The reporting of criminal offences is important to protect others from abuse.

How long will my case take?

This is a very difficult question to answer accurately and depending on the circumstances of your case it may take several years to conclude.

However, our team at Uppal Taylor Solicitors will ensure that your claim is progressed as efficiently and quickly as it possible so that the right outcome is achieved for you.

How much compensation will I receive ?

This will depend on many factors such as the nature and severity of the abuse and the effect that the abuse has had upon your life. For a confidential chat, please telephone or email us.

Will I get an apology?

We understand that most of our clients want an apology more that any sum of financial compensation. Unfortunately, there is no legal requirement for a Defendant to offer an apology.

No one believed me then – why will they now?

We believe you. We are here to ensure that your voice is heard and work with you to get the compensation, treatment and closure that you seek.

I’ve never told my family and friends about the abuse. I want to bring a claim but I don’t want it in the public eye.

Your privacy is of the upmost importance to us.

We will apply to the court to make your details anonymous on court proceedings and further pleadings to ensure that your details are kept confidential.

Will I have to face my abuser in Court?

We do not know if the Defendant will call your abuser if the case reaches Court. However, we do know that your abuser cannot cross-exam you directly and we can arrange for you to give evidence by video link or behind a screen if you have any concerns.

Do I need a solicitor?

The law in abuse actions is often complex.

It is important that you have the best solicitor with the most specialist of experience to guide you through the process to obtain the best possible outcome.

If I live in Scotland can I still bring a claim?

Yes – if the abuse took place in England or Wales then we can act for you.

Our cases

Armes (NA) -v- Nottinghamshire County Council – A welcome victory for abused foster children Supreme Court rule child abuse victory for Nottingham Claimant against Nottinghamshire County Council Today, the Supreme Court gave a much-awaited judgement in the case of Armes (NA) -v- Nottinghamshire County Council finding that local authorities are vicariously liable for the actions of foster parents. The claimant,…

Continue reading…

Notable cases

Court hands down judgement in B&B – v – Leicestershire County Council and rules that Local Authorities owe a non-delegable duty of care to children who are placed in foster care. The Claimants were represented by Mr. Christopher Ratcliffe, solicitor, of Uppal Taylor Solicitors and Mr. Philip Turton, barrister, of Ropewalk Chambers, Nottingham. The Claimants brought proceedings against the Local…

Continue reading…

Other news

Stockport MP, Ann Coffey, says rise in number of children being “farmed out” to care homes. 2012 government reforms made a pledge to reduce the number of “out of borough placements” to help combat child sexual exploitation, but Ministers are now being accused of breaking that promise. Labour MP Ann Coffey is expected to use a Commons debate later to…

Continue reading…


This website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience... moregot it